Sunday, April 18, 2010

My blog's really dying from lack of activity. I have so much time on hand, yet I am just too lazy to lay my fingers on the keyboard to update this space of mine. I spent most of my time catching up with friends, watching shows on my tv, playing mahjong and sleeping. This is the lifestyle many envied, especially students and working friends of mine.

This non-stressful and carefree lifestyle started aproximately 3 weeks ago when I got the phonecall from Morgan Stanley's human resource department offering me an analyst position in their finance department. I was ecstatic and felt thoroughly relieved as I had 2 job offers to choose from. One that is from arguably the best bank in the world, but only offering a 4 months contract, and the other one as mentioned above. In the end, I chose the permanent role mainly for the job security it brings about, and the better prospect of a middle office role compared to one of a back office.

With the signing of the contract on a Monday-Blueless Monday, the commencement of my much anticipated career was imminent. I was informed to report to work on the 26 of April. I was delighted and grateful for this opportunity, as I know my prayers and effort did not go unanswered. Throughout the 3 months ++ of job hunting, I had the support of my family and friends who gave me non-stop advice and encouragement. Gone were the days of daily job hunting, sending out countless emails only to be ignored, feeling lost without any direction and the ultimate fear of unemployment.

I have exactly one week more to the start of my job. I had initially planned for a short getaway before starting work but it had largely been unsuccessful due to the political situation paralysing bangkok and the unavailability of my friends. What should I do in this final week of freedom, before I step into the prison of work?

No comments: